Jan 26, 2016

A Good Book

Image result for quote about being reading
I started reading The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman over the weekend.  A very good book.  I have wondered why the Holocaust has always intrigued me.  The idea of large groups of people being sensitized to cruelty to others has fascinated and troubled me.  This book, a true story set within the Holocaust, gives me an answer.  The Holocaust was different from other mass genocide in that it was premeditated, calculated and intent on destroying all people who did not have pure Aryan blood.  That even included the Polish and Catholics.  Well researched, the book gives a background for how these atrocities could happen.  It is the story of Jan and Antonina Zabinski and their hiding "in plain sight" many would-be victims of the Holocaust in their zoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment