Mar 13, 2010

Adrift

"I believe that God does not want us to suffer. However, if we separate ourselves from the truth of who we are, we feel adrift," Henri Nowen.

One of the aspects which interests me about dementia is how self absorbed the persons with dementia become. This has struck me when I am in unable to take care of myself (accident on my bike or recent medical procedure in which I was to be monitored afterward). Dwane is on many levels oblivious to me and to the exterior world. Is it possible that this folding in on oneself is the "returning home" to which Henri Nowen refers? It seems it must serve some purpose, and it does seem to shield the person with dementia from suffering. I guess it would be comforting for me to think that there is a purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment