Mar 23, 2010

Diet

I have always been a discerning eater, and I am grateful that good nutrition is one of the really good foundations I gave my children. But, after watching the movie, Food, Inc, I am upping the bar. Friends and family have been recommending that I watch this movie, and last night we did. I have tried to buy organic and in season food for a long time, but in a rural area it has not always been easy. I was raised on a farm, and I was stunned to learn that now only one company produces seed and that company controls everything that farmers plant -- if they want a contract with that company.

The movie draws on Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation and Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma. This is a documentary by director Robert Kenner, and it explores the food industry in America, its effect on our health, the environment and workers in the field of food industry. If you are concerned about what you eat, you may want to watch it.

In my psychological practice I have long wondered (as have others) why the dramatic rise in some disorders, such as autism. A group of us were also discussing the apparent rise in occurrence (this is a personal observation) of dementia. As a child and young adult, even with scores of aging relatives, I knew one person - a spouse of a distant cousin - who had dementia. Within the past decade I have known five persons with dementia within extended family. It seems plausible that environmental insults, to include what we eat, might be changing our health in an adverse way.

No comments:

Post a Comment