Mar 20, 2010

Harmony

""May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to think in harmony with one another," Romans: 15:5

Harmony has always been very important to me. I dislike discord and try to create and reside in environments of harmony. An area of resistance in this journey with dementia is Dwane's significant resistance to any services which might give me respite. Because of his resistance (I call them temper tantrums), I have postponed getting someone to come in on a regular basis so that I can have a break. But no longer. I started nursing services yesterday, and I have set up respite care on a regular basis. Dwane wants to avoid living in a nursing home; then he needs to be cooperative with services which can help accomplish that.

My spiritual director really helped me with this. He suggested that I should not be so concerned about Dwane's resistance, as my resistance to Dwane's resistance. Subtle difference, but I get it. I will set up what I believe we need, and Dwane's response is his own business, not mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment