Apr 19, 2010

Turmeric

The advocacy for certain supplements often comes and goes; just think of how vitamin E has fallen in favor. But I keep reading good things about turmeric, the curry spice, and how it may protect against dementia. I have not gone out and bought a supplement, but I am cooking more using turmeric. Vitamin D, also, is receiving more notice, with some medical people feeling that anyone living in the northern hemisphere might be lacking therapeutic Vitamin D levels. Recent articles have called it the "wonder" vitamin. I was very surprised when my doctor checked my vitamin D levels and I was very low. I am outside in my exercise regimen every day (our skin makes vitamin D from sunlight, but less efficiently as we get older), and still, I was very low. If in doubt, a person could have their vitamin D levels checked. Doctors often recommend that if a person is going to take any supplement to make sure that it is a brand with the US Pharmacolopeia label, which indicates it has been tested for accuracy, safety and effectiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment