Apr 20, 2010

Unsolicited advice

"Your opinion of me is none of my business," Richard Kiefer is who I have heard say this, but he may not be the originator.

It is amazing that some people believe they have the right to suggest and/or criticize what others do. I have observed that the people most likely to give unwanted advice are those with the least expertise. People with the credentials to diagnose mental disorders are less likely to do so lightly than some in the mainstream populace. Perhaps it is that with the training also comes the sense of responsibility of honoring another's dignity. So what do we do about the inevitable advice and criticism we as caregivers receive from others? Perhaps it helps to recognize the moral or spiritual development of the person who judges and criticizes others. Perhaps that can enable compassion.

If this blog is not helpful to you, I do have some advice; stop reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment