Jan 31, 2012

Being half present

"Being half anywhere is the true beginning of loneliness." Mark Nepo

I have been 'half there' numerous times lately.  I left my favorite hat lying on a table of a house I was leaving, I could not find a book I read daily because I had packed it and did not remember doing so, I misplaced some important papers because I was not 'conscious of what I was doing' when I put them in a location.  I am a very bright woman, so I take these as signs of stress.  Too much responsibility.  Recently, I agreed to pet sit a dog. I thought I could handle it no problem; afterall, as long as I am here caregiving, what is one more thing?  But, that is exactly what is the problem:  it is one more thing for which I am responsible. The result is that I feel even more overwhelmed.  Now I have to remember everything for Dwane and me, and I have to remember to tend to the dog's needs.  Solution?  I will take time this week to regather myself, eliminate sources of stress that I can eliminate and renew my practice of being present.  I think as caregivers we must be very careful about taking on even one more thing, and I hope you can benefit from my mistake in having done so.

No comments:

Post a Comment