May 13, 2014

Being Authentic

"Everyone's bald underneath their hair." Susan McHenry

We go to so much trouble to cover up who we really are.  I gave a talk at church on Sunday, and some friends came to support me -- such a touching and supportive gesture, and yet, I found it made me a bit nervous, and I found myself concerned with what they might think of my talk -- as they would be seeing me in a light not familiar to them.  To be nervous while speaking publicly is rather unlike me when I am at my best, but so like all of us humans sometimes.  It is scary to relax and be totally and truly who we are, and those people who provide us enough safety to be completely ourselves are very rare gifts.   Perhaps the reason that it is so hard to be truly ourselves in all situations is that it would be harder to accept people rejecting us for who we truly are, than being rejected for the cover-up we wear.  And yet, that is folly.  It is only in being ourselves that we can truly love and be loved by others.  Who in your life supports you in being fully who you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment