May 16, 2014

Causes of Behavior Problems

"Poor behavior can be caused by pain, lack of sleep, hunger, thirst or feelings of being lost and not belonging." Samsclub.com/healthandwellness

I think fear is often the basis of poor behavior.  As the person with dementia becomes more confused, I think they are afraid, and that fear can come out looking like belligerence.  My loved one said to me recently, "The day I feared has come."  When I asked him to explain further, he indicated that he feared the day he would not be able to get out of a chair.  I can understand that fear, and I appreciate the times he is lucid enough to be in touch with what is fearful for him with this debilitating disease.  His bringing it up did give me the opportunity to talk about the probable need for a wheelchair sometime in the future.  The care facility staff and I both want him to be as mobile as possible for as long as possible, but it is sad to see how much strength and mobility he has lost in just the last 3 months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment