May 14, 2014

Water Is Necessary For Health


"Water is your body's principal chemical component and makes up about 60 percent of your body weight. Every system in your body depends on water. The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day. The AI for women is 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day."  Mayo Clinic

I drink a lot of water --- always have.  I love good, pure water.  We are so lucky if we live where we have access to good water.  People with dementia run the risk of being dehydrated.  Between the toileting and mobility issues, I think people with dementia cut back on their water intake and/or forget to drink.  If the person for whom I provide care is particularly confused, I prepare him something to drink.  He prefers cola, but any liquid is better than none.  There is also always water with ice by his chair.  We as caregivers also need to drink enough water.  Today, let us make sure we drink enough water. I am so grateful that I have easy access to good, clean water.  








Water is your body's principal chemical component and makes up about 60 percent of your body weight. Every system in your body depends on water.

No comments:

Post a Comment