May 25, 2015

More on Handling Stress

Image result for flower photos
"Very few highly resilient people are strong in and by themselves.  You need support." Dr. Steven Southwick, Yale

During stressful times, it helps to have a good support system.  I try to have within my circle of friends those I know will "have my back".  It helps to reach out for support when things go badly,but - in my opinion - it is also important to choose people who can truly support us, because not all people have that capability.  It helps to maintain a positive outlook, and it can be helpful to observe those people in our lives who are resilient and learn from them.  What do they do to handle stress?  Can we do that too?  Research also tells us that we handle stress better when we do not beat ourselves us for mistakes or dwell on the past.  Forgive yourself -- it is so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment