Aug 28, 2009

Looking for the blessings

Ah, what a good day yesterday. I walked/jogged 10 miles in preparation for my part marathon, and I made a new friend in the process. Lovely morning, and though I am a bit stiff in the hips, all is well in my body's response to the endeavor. Then an oil painting lesson in the afternoon. I am so delighted that Dwane is in a period where he is doing well enough that I can be gone for a couple hours. That is one of the blessings in his mostly horrific diagnosis: his memory is pretty much unaffected. So, I don't have to worry about him wandering off or not remembering where I am or when I am coming home.

It helps me to notice and remember the blessings in the midst of this disease. I am so grateful for the hypnosis, which seems to be what has helped with increasing motivation and decreasing anxiety. It is just amazing to me that Dwane is repairing his little trailer. This is the first project he has undertaken in functional activity since last fall. So, noticing that helps me know that we have good things in place to make the best of what his diagnosis is. The combination of medications: Namenda and Aricept, along with the hypnosis, seems to really be supportive of his well being. I am so glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment