Oct 5, 2009

Bleak day

Today is overcast and snowing. Quite a bit accumulated. I don't seem to be emotionally ready for it this season, and I miss my early morning runs. Whenever the season/condition changes, I have a bit of adjustment difficulties to create a new exercise regimen. Otherwise, all is well. Dwane is doing very well and has been for a couple weeks. I am still somewhat surprised at peoples' misunderstanding of what we are dealing with. Such misconceptions and generalizations about dementia. Yesterday someone said to me that Dwane probably did not drive much because he would not be able to find his way home. Of course he can find his way home. What he cannot do is process multiple streams of input, like heavy traffic and changing lanes on an interstate. As more and more of our world ages, perhaps there will be better understanding of the many facets and faces of dementia. I am so grateful that Dwane is still very capable of making decisions, understanding information, and remembering details. Of course, some of that can probably be attributed to our quick response and multi-faceted approach to dealing with this diagnosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment