Oct 2, 2009

Lyme Disease

I just learned from a dear friend yesterday that Lyme Disease can be misdiagnosed as dementia. Wow!! I had never heard that. Dwane did have a tick that was attached last spring, and I think that it is a small chance that what he has is Lyme Disease, but it is certainly worth checking out. The first neurologist we went to did check for thyroid disease, at my request, and he also checked for syphilis which would not have occurred to me. Dwane did demonstrate hypothyroidism, and I think the thyroid supplement has been part of his overall improvement. But I did not know about the need to rule out Lyme Disease. I will talk with his doctor. It would be a lovely scenario if Lyme Disease was what we are dealing with, compared with the alternative --- a progressive, incurable destruction of the brain.

I am so grateful for the open, caring, sharing of information among friends. My blog is serving what I had hoped. My friend has been reading this blog, and emailed me with the information about Lyme Disease. Isn't this a lovely world in which we support each other, want the best for each other, share information that helps each other?!?! Yes, a fine world indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment