Oct 6, 2009

Presence

Another aspect brought forth in the workshop on spiritual writing was the need for the writer of spiritual material to be present and to call forth others to be present. I think that is a necessary ingredient of spiritual writing. It is also a byproduct of my intention with living with dementia. Since I have pretty much shelved my professional life and am focused on making the best of all things right now, I am much more present. Interesting. I have strived for years and used many practices to be present. I read Eckart Tolle's book, The Power of Now, and agree that it is only in the now that anything really happens. I read and loved the idea that the reason for being aware of our breath is that we can't breathe a minute past, nor a minute in the future. Only now. Still, I would find my mind going over the lists of things to do or even, I regret to say, the rehashing of some insult or injury (What a waste of time!!!). I got better at being present, but I did not develop the practice as much as I wanted. I really preferred not to have the very significant soul-opening experience that Tolle seems to have where he sat on a park bench for 2-3 years after. So, perhaps I am getting my wish. Perhaps this experience can for me be, in part, a practice of being present. For that aspect I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment