Oct 9, 2009

Emotions

A thought among some newer spiritual paths is that we humans were created to be a means for a perfect intelligence to express thoughts and feelings. Interesting. Another idea which strikes me is that we can remain in joy if we truly believe all is well. Between the controversy over how an inheritance was/is being handled and the reality of Dwane's diagnosis, I have found myself not sleeping well, feeling anxious. Because of a current spiritual thinking that we need to keep ourselves feeling happier thoughts, I feel concern when I feel any of the feelings that are more "down". The idea that we were created partly for the purpose of expanding thinking and feeling is soothing. Then, it would seem, all feelings are important. I know in my therapy training I was taught that the quickest way through a feeling is to really feel it. So, the dichotomy. A pastor from a conservative mainstream pulpit recently derided the idea that feelings and thoughts were important for creating the quality of life one wants. I have learned in my life a spiritual truth, and that is: it is important to not deride those things we do not understand -- they often contain important truths if we are open to them.

So, today, my practice is going to be on truly believing that all is well. I would not be upset by the posturing and bullying of family members over what is right, if I truly believed that goodness prevails. So, I choose to believe goodness prevails, and I hope my emotions follow my choice.

2 comments:

  1. I stumbled across this blog site and was reading your daily thoughts concerning your husband who has dementia. I just have a few questions if you dont mind answering them for me. Does your husband, Dwane, know that you are writing about him and his dementia? I am alittle concerned that he may not be very pleased with you writing about such personal struggles that he may be having with this desease. Is he aware of the personal things that you are sharing with the entire world?..im asking this because i think if it was me with the desease...i would be very angry with my spouse..whom i trust and would never feel should betray me like this..he seems still well enough to know what is happening around him..if he knew you were writing all of this stuff about his daily personal struggles..do you think he would object to your daily writings? You seem educated and i noticed you have written some books..are you planning to write a book about your husbands personal struggles with dementia also?..if he doesnt know about your daily writings then i feel this is betrayal on your part and that you are benefitting only for yourself to get another book deal and sympathy from the rest of us..as if YOU are the victim..but let me remind you..HE is the victim here...HE is a human being..and should be treated with dignity..now and after he dies..and sharing his personal struggles may be really humiliating to him if he knew that you are doing it...this is just my opinion..but i wanted you to try to think of this situation in a different light other than your own..in HIS world..how does HE feel..how would HE be if HE knew? thank-you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading the comment of October 9, has prompted me to post a suggestion. I concur with curiousgeorge that this blog should be more about Dwane rather than you. I am sure we would all be interested in his feelings regarding your daily thoughts. Why not have him add a few lines from his perspective? It would add a new dimension to your blog and make it much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete