Oct 12, 2009

Eye of the needle

Yesterday the pastor spoke on the New Testament reading stating that it is more difficult for a rich man to get to heaven than for a camel to go through the eye of a needle. He offered a thought I had not heard before. He said it was not that the man was rich that was what would keep him out of heaven, but the emphasis he put on his richness. The pastor said that in the time when the New Testament was being written, the prevailing thought was that if a person was favored by God, then that person would be blessed with riches and good health. Not unlike some of the teachings of today, is it? The point, according to this pastor, was that a person had to be willing to give up what he/she thought was showing the favor of God, in order to really enter into the presence of God. Interesting perspective.

I feel I have lost the focus of this blog, and perhaps that is because, like many times in life, the dementia is not what is most challenging for me right now. What is more challenging is the extended family dissension, the discerning what is right and true, and the mature stand in that truth. This challenge, too, is serving a purpose which affects a number of people. This challenge again causes me to think that the only real purpose for me is to develop myself personally, emotionally, spiritually in order to live life with the highest integrity for myself and all others. It is not so much living graciously with dementia; it is living graciously with all of life experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment