Apr 12, 2011

Clocks

"Time is free, but it's priceless," Harvey MacKay.

What is it with clocks and people with dementia? I know that one of the tests for cognitive functioning is to have the person draw a clock and then put hands in for certain times; a task Dwane was unable to do. I have bought him the simplest alarm clock I could find, and I set it for him. But, still, the alarm goes off at 3:27 a.m. or 5:00 p.m. He continually tries to reset the alarm himself; invariably getting it wrong. OMG this is frustrating! What have you tried that works with clocks/alarms? It is not only frustrating that he will not leave it set as I have done according to what time he says he wants to get up, but he will never take responsibility for doing it incorrectly! It is always something wrong with the clock. Or the remote control. Or the gas pump. What is it about dementia that disables a person from seeing that he/she is doing a wrong application, versus the device not working?! (If he was able to see that he was incorrectly applying a technique, perhaps he would be able to try a different approach.)

I welcome any constructive suggestions.

2 comments:

  1. Does Dwayne NEED an alarm clock? If not, I would suggest getting him just a regular clock with no alarm on it and having an alarm for your own self.
    Hubby too seems to have an obsession with his watches (he has several junk watches). I can't even tell you how many times he keeps having me set the time on an old watch that does not work. It's maddening!
    He also has frustration issues with his TV remotes and cell phone, neither of which he can use. No matter how many times I have explained their use and the fact that the watch is broken, Hubby does not understand that.
    The Lewy Bodies have taken his ability to use these items properly, and taken away the ability to learn anything new, even if it was actually old, sigh.
    Simplicity must rule. The change can not come from Hubby, the change must come from me, AGAIN.
    It's not Hubby's fault, It's not Hubby's fault, It's not Hubby's fault.
    Yes, I have to keep reminding myself.

    Wishing you a non alarming day ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, Kathy, I love your wisdom. Isn't it a challenge to decide between what he thinks he needs and what actually should be done? I try to pick my battles. Love your attitude.

    ReplyDelete