Apr 1, 2011

Sacred communication

"Communication is to relationships what breathing is to life", Virginia Satir.

Communication is so important to me that I have the above quote at the bottom of every email I send. I thrive on communication that is sacred. And what makes communication sacred? Confidentiality for sure. Knowing that we are with a person who will honor what we share and not share it with others. Give and take: An equal amount of talking and listening. Holding what is said as sacred: Persons who listen with so much acceptance that we know they want what is best for us/that they are rooting for us (how healing that is!). Positive topics: Avoiding gossip, negativity, mean spiritedness, put downs, sarcasm.

As dementia caregivers it is important for us to find sacred conversation to support us, especially during this time of sacrifice where we put so much of our energy into the well being of the care receiver. I appreciate every person who provides this for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment