Dec 21, 2011

Forgiveness

"Forgiveness isn't just about being nice -- it's about being spiritually intelligent.  We can have a grievance or we can have a miracle, but we cannot have both." Marianne Williamson

I agree.  Some years ago I began to realize that if I did not forgive someone, there was some kind of an energetic entanglement that kept me bound.  Perhaps it kept the other person bound too; I just know it kept me bound.  So, it is spiritually intelligent to forgive.  Every single one of us has been betrayed, rejected, abandoned, treated badly by someone, cheated out of something.  It is part of life.  Our role, in my opinion, is how we deal with those injustices.  Most important is that we choose to forgive the person or situation or agency.  And, I do think forgiveness is a choice.  I hear people say they cannot forgive someone.  I don't think that is true.  I think it is honestly just as simple as choosing to forgive.  The only caveat is that we may have to choose more than once, as forgiveness - like many spiritual practices, is often done in layers.  We forgive one layer or aspect of the event, which reveals another layer to be forgiven.  The gift in this forgiving is our own freedom.

"Do forget what was done to you; just remember the lessons you learned from it." Marianne Williamson

No comments:

Post a Comment