Dec 7, 2011

Love

"No loving gesture has ever failed to leave its mark in the world."  Katherine Saux

Yesterday I was talking with my spiritual director, and he said he thought the ultimate purpose in life was to return to love and joy.  I think he is right.  Whatever our situation is, it is our task to return love and to be in joy and in peace.  Being a caregiver for dementia can be a trial for returning to love, but if we are honest with ourselves, so can a lot of other situations in life.  I think it is important that we provide ourselves enough breaks from the tasks and responsibilities of caregiving, so that we can enjoy and emanate love and peace.  Have you ever stopped to consider what this caregiving has to do with you?  Is there any purpose whatsoever in it for you?  I think we can use this task of caregiving to grow more mature in our spirituality, and one way to do that is to practice love and peace and joy.  Respite for ourselves is one way to return to love/peace/joy, and so is levity.  I laughed out loud with my daughter on the phone this morning, and that laughter and connection helps me to return to love and peace.  What connection helps you in that way? 

No comments:

Post a Comment