Dec 1, 2011

Forgot to pay taxes

"Our brains simply are not suited for the modern world." Dr. Andrew Weil.

While Dr. Weil is speaking of living deprived of nature, I think the quote applies to us who are caregivers for dementia too.  I forgot to pay our property taxes.  Not just for this last half of the year -- for the whole year.  Amazing!  It is a very reliable way for me to know that I am overloaded, as it is most unlike me to forget such things.  It seems I spend my days trying to track down one of Dwane's prescriptions (the highly controlled one for his narcolepsy -- a medical condition in addition to his dementia), or paying the bills for our household, or cooking/cleaning/shoveling/plowing/laundry chores.  It is hard to even try to carve out some time for my own personal and professional life.  This is also the time of year when getting out in nature is harder.  It is very slick here, ice covered with snow.  Next week I have planned for myself an individual retreat, while my dear sister comes to stay with Dwane.  I plan to use it to review my life, my choices and to replenish myself. 

What can you do to recharge your batteries --- especially in this busy holiday season?  

No comments:

Post a Comment