Dec 9, 2011

Keeping our word

"Keeping our word is the alchemy to becoming free and whole." Tukaram

Is it easy for you to keep your word?  I confess that sometimes I glibly say I will do something, and then I change my mind.  It seems the person we may be less likely to keep our words to is ourselves.  We might say, "I will lose 10 pounds, I will limit my alcohol to 1 drink, I will exercise every day, I will not judge others." and then the time arrives and we don't feel like taking the action.  It seems to me it is important that we know we can count on ourselves, and in what ways do we do that?  Mostly through honoring our words and following through on behavior (the action step).  We are human and temptation seems part of that condition, so perhaps a way we might think of this is to be thoughtful about giving our word - to ourselves or anyone else.  We might consider:  Do I really want to do this?  before we say we will.  Another way to keep our word according to research is to share with someone we can count on to support us what our goal is.  It is more likely we will keep our word about the goal if we have some social support to do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment