Dec 31, 2011

Happy New Year

In whatever sense this year is a New Year for you, may the moment find you eager and unafraid, ready to take it by the hand with joy and gratitude." Howard Thurman

Well, another year is ending.  It has been a year of ups and downs, both in Dwane's physical/cognitive status, but also in my emotions. Summer and fall were a time of considerable discouragement for me, so I spent the holiday season re-evaluating, regathering myself.  I have lost too much of myself to this caregiver role and to the dementia.  It is hard to explain, but my attitude has now shifted.  There may not be a lot of difference in outward appearances for the way I live my life, but it is different.  I have returned the focus to my own life.  It feels good.  I hope each of you come to peace between you/your life and whatever you have in your life that could take a lot of attention from fulfilling your own life purpose.  The dementia really is the journey of the person who has it; for us touched by that life:  we have a responsibility to the person but not for the person.  Our responsibility for life remains with ourselves and what we do with our one, glorious life.  May 2012 be full of blessings for each of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment