Dec 4, 2011

Planning

"The luxury of planning.  Planning the flow of each day for one full week." Lalita Tademy

I am reading a novel, Cane River, by the above author - a well-researched book about slavery and the author's family.  Things I had never considered:  what an anomaly it was for slaves to have time they could call their own (the time between Christmas and New Year's).  It gave me pause, and it made me realize that is part of what caregiving brings us too:  deprivation of planning our own life.  Some days I only have the energy for the many tasks:  dishes, meals, shoveling, plowing, paying bills, managing medication -- that I yearn for time and the freedom to plan my own life and how I would like to spend my time.  Next week my sister is coming again, and I will have a 3 day retreat in which I intend to do just that.  How can you fit time into your schedule to reflect on and plan your life? 

No comments:

Post a Comment