Dec 27, 2011

Walking

"Walk 100 steps a minute for better health.  Walking is life-extending, heart-saving and blood-pressure-lowering." Dr. Paul Donohue

Readers of this blog know that I am a strong advocate for daily exercise.  Walking is something that any of us with mobility can do easily, inexpensively and in almost any conditions.  2000 steps is approximately equivalent to 1 mile, and fitness experts recommend we get 10,000 steps, or 5 miles, a day.  I do not always get 5 miles, but I make sure I get at least 3 miles daily.  Some enjoy using a treadmill or indoor track; I try to walk my miles outside because I find nature so soothing.  It is snowy and icy where I live, so I sometimes snow shoe or cross country ski instead of walking.  Wearing a pedometer is a reliable way to ensure we get the number of steps that we want into a day.  I like the type that simply count steps (not calories, etc.), and Omron is one that does that and is easy to use. 

As caregivers for dementia it is imperative that we attend to our own health, and daily exercise is one very good way to do that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment