Jul 28, 2014

Ability to Think

  1. "Those who know how to think need no teachers." Robert Frost

    I love Robert Frost, but this line frankly puzzles me.  Of course, our ability to think is helpful in life; but many, many of the things I have learned have been modeled to me by others.  Just recently in having dinner with friends, one of the people asked for us to be moved because the light above the table was bothersome.  Good modeling for me -- as I am likely to "make do".  The person was courteous in asking, and we ended up with a much better table.  This may seem like a very simple example, but simple can be applied to more complex.  I share with others the tasks we confront in caregiving with the intention of helping others.  Just this week someone told me that they were thinking differently about the next few years because I have shared how expensive longterm care is.  That is what we can do for one another.  Share, learn, and - in so doing - lessen our burdens and increase our joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment