Jul 24, 2014

Sailing One's Life

  1. "I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship." Louisa May Alcott

    Easy to say -- harder to live.  I watched Oprah interviewing Michael Singer recently, and he said much the same.  He said that his indictment by the federal government for alleged fraudulent practices was something that did not upset him, because he knew that the experience would completely remove the rest of his personality -- who he thought he was versus who he really is.  This is an intriguing idea.  Caregiving for someone with dementia or any disabling condition is a "life storm".  Perhaps if we view caregiving as an opportunity to advance on our spiritual path (which I think is the same as saying advance toward our fullest human potential), then the tasks and responsibilities would be easier.  I think I am going to view it this way.  How about you?

1 comment:

  1. That is much harder to live than to say, I agree. I just found out my mother is starting the early symptoms of dementia. I want to be there for her every step of the way. Thanks for your view on how to look at every situation. It is much appreciated.

    Brooke Bowen | http://www.seniorshomealone.com/#!dementia-and-alzheimers-care/c13jp

    ReplyDelete