Jul 3, 2014

Unending Advocacy

  1. "advocate:  Definition:  somebody who acts or intercedes on behalf of another" Bing dictionary

    I thought that the need for advocacy on behalf of my loved one would end when it became necessary for him to go into a nursing home, but, no, it does not.  He fell out of bed and has abrasions and bruises all over.  I had to submit a request for a bed railing -- something I thought they might have thought of.  Then, when I saw him yesterday he was so sedated he was unable to respond when I said his name.  It turns out they have been giving him atavan because they say he is agitated in the afternoon --- they called it 'sundowners'.  He has never had sundowners, and if he is agitated, I find that talking to him brings down his anxiety.  So, again, I have had to request he not be given sedatives.  It is not that I know so much, but I certainly do know him and his behaviors.  If he is agitated, he may be hallucinating and feel compelled to be taking some action within that hallucination.  Again, calm reasoning can bring him back.  We, as caregivers, need to be ready to advocate for the best treatment for our loved ones.  

No comments:

Post a Comment