Oct 21, 2014

Patience

  1. "I am, as all mortals are, unable to be patient." Pablo Neruda

    At last, someone who is quoted is saying the obvious, all mortals are unable to be patient.  Dr. Joan Borysenko said that what most people call patience is impatience stretched to its limits.  I confess that I have always had a tendency for impatience.  Impatience when someone talks too much --- I want them to get to the point.  Impatience when I have to wait.  I tend to be efficient, and I want things to move along.  But, of course, we can all be patient -- at least for a period of time.  I was yesterday when I sat and listened to my loved one talk about the car parking lot that did not exist in the lobby of the nursing home and all the work he had to do on the cars there.  Of course there are many things for us caregivers to do, but it is also important for us to settle in, to allow, to honor what is.  To be patient.  

No comments:

Post a Comment