Nov 3, 2014

A Long Road

  1. "Two roads diverged in the woods, and I, I took the one less traveled by -- and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

    To do the task of caregiving graciously is to take the road less traveled.  It takes patience, compassion, love, honor of self and the other, wisdom to make the right decisions, energy to do all the tasks we are asked to do -- and then to do all of this with graciousness.  Yesterday when I was with my loved one, he was telling me that he had been counting money -- that his uncle had sent $10,000, and he wanted to divide it fairly between his sister, Calamity Jane, the girl who found the money, and the man at the post office.  So, I helped him figure how much each would get when divided equally.  It seemed a relief to him to have this "figured out".  The hallucinations that accompany Lewy Bodies Dementia are fascinating, if one can look at them that way.  

    As caregivers we are on a very long road, and - if we choose to do it graciously, we are on a road less traveled.  It is so good to have the companionship of you readers to help along the way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment