Nov 20, 2014

Advocacy

  1. Do you, like I do, consider what might the consequences be when you speak up and advocate for your loved one?  Having worked in systems, I do know that sometimes there are consequences; but usually conditions are improved -- not just for the person for whom we advocate, but for everyone.  What I have asked for with the missed-meal situation is a review of the policy or process.  I do not think it was the aides' fault; I think it is a policy problem.  So, having spoken up, I feel I have done the right thing by my loved one, and I will see how they respond.  It is always informative for me if they get defensive, since that is a poor position from which to respond by a mental health standard.  The last time I spoke up the reaction was defensiveness, but -- as caregivers -- we cannot let that stop us.  Part of our responsibility is to see that our loved one receives compassionate and appropriate care.  

No comments:

Post a Comment