Jan 4, 2015

Living From Our Center

""the nature of becoming is a constant filming over of where we begin, while the nature of being is a constant erosion of what is not essential.  This is the only thing worth teaching:  how to uncover that original center and how to live there once it is restored." Mark Nepo

We spend much of our lives identifying ourselves with our gender, our family, our educational level, our professional choice -- we can even identify ourselves now as caregivers.  But none of those roles are really us, and I think Mark Nepo is right -- that our task in life is to uncover the center of who we are and to live from that.  Much of the work I do with people in therapy is to help them rediscover the center of who they are and to live from that.  It is also much of the work I do with myself.  Is it good to ask ourselves:  who am I?  Who am I without the role of mother/father, wife/husband, daughter/son, job, gender, , caregiver, financial status?  Who am I really?   A goal of mine for 2015 is to find out even more who I am.  

No comments:

Post a Comment