Jan 6, 2015

Showing Who We Are

"My grandmother told me; 'Never hide your green hair --- they can see it anyway'."  Angeles Arrien

What a fun quote to remind us to not hide who we are.  I found myself in a setting recently where another person was taking up an inordinate amount of psychic space, which I discovered was irritating to me.  Upon reflection, the irritation is probably based on my tendency to not take up my share of the psychic space, but to fly beneath the radar - so to speak -- in an effort to be invisible.  We all have experiences from early childhood where we are teased and taunted for some aspect of who we are.  As the youngest child of four, I think I may have had more than some people have of the teasing and taunting.  A result of the teasing and taunting can be that we hide who we are in the hope of avoiding criticism.  I know that has been true for me, and now I am going to take steps so that it is no longer a defense mechanism.  I am going to show up as fully as I want in any given situation, and I hope you will too.  The only way we can heal the world is by being fully ourselves and allowing others to do the same.  It does not mean we have to take up more than our share of the psychic space -- that is as unhealthy as taking up too little.  If we each speak up, show ourselves and honor one another, the world - and all in it -- has a chance to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment