Jan 4, 2011

Friendly universe

"When we stay awake and keep positive thoughts, the Universe will appear to be much friendlier to us than we might have imagined," Celeste A. Frazier.

Have you noticed how differently people perceive life? At exercise class yesterday a woman spent considerable time grousing about how poorly done was the televised coverage of the Rose Bowl Parade. Since I believe that one's orientation will bring us more of the same, I believe it is dangerous for me to spend any time complaining. I do not mean to take her inventory; I'm just saying that for me I dare not venture into, much less stay in, complaint about anything. It is an orientation. One is either oriented to looking for what is going right in one's life, or what is going wrong. We will always have both, but just like positive reinforcement in behavior modification, what we focus our attention upon increases. So, for today I commit to staying awake and looking for all the things that are going right. Even the little things, like having enough money in the checking account to pay all the bills, and calling my cell phone company to modify my service to get the best value for my money, and watching "Fried Green Tomatoes" with Dwane, and going outside last night to look at the meteor shower (we did not see that, but the stars were glorious.) So many, many blessings in each and every day ---- especially if we are looking for them. And, in the tediousness of caregiving, we may need to be particularly vigilant about looking for the blessings. They are there. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment