Nov 26, 2012

Kindness of Strangers

"I have just three things to teach:  simplicity, patience, compassion.  These are the greatest treasures." Lao Tzu

It is amazing how kind we can be to one another.  Recently, I took Dwane to see the movie, Lincoln, which both he and I very much enjoyed.  Based on Doris Kearns Goodwin's well-researched book, "Team of Rivals", the movie depicts the period of time when Lincoln is trying to get the 13th Amendment (the one abolishing slavery) passed.  At the end of the movie, Dwane was unable to get out of his chair.  Usually I am able to get him up out of a chair, but together we were struggling to get him to his feet; when two women walking by stopped and one offered to help.  With one woman on each side of Dwane, we quickly had him up.  I was so grateful for their unsolicited kindness.  It was also an evening instructive of how kindness goes around, as - when I went in to use the bathroom upon leaving the theater, a little girl was trying to reach the soap dispenser to wash her hands.  I was able to pass along to the little girl the kindness the woman extended to us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment