Oct 29, 2013

Blessings Within Challenges

"I have never felt a pain that didn't bear a blessing." Gene Knudson Hoffman

Of course, that does not mean that the challenge or painful event is the blessing.  Joseph Campbell says that challenges are a part of life and that we must accept that.  I agree.  To believe that we will not have challenges, that everything will go our way, is to set ourselves up for disappointment.  But, within those challenges, we can find gifts of insight.  With caregiving, I have found that it has been good for me to find balance between meeting his needs and my own.  I have seen people do the opposites:  either abandoning the person who needs caregiving or devoting their whole life to caregiving and giving up their own health.  There is a middle way, and that middle way is meeting our own needs while also helping the care receiver meet his or hers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment