Oct 12, 2013

Giving Our Brains a Break

"Most of us struggle to shut off the inner static long enough to complete a task, enjoy a conversation or write a single email.  Humans evolved this way -- to be productive and stay on high alert -- for a reason.  Survival.  The brain's limbic system is wired to scan for danger signals, always focusing on warding off what could happen."  Gail Saltz, MD

So, what is the best way to give our brains a break from this constant scanning for danger?  Mindfulness, living in the present moment, relaxation, meditation, and forays into nature.  One person uses a timer.  She sets the timer for five minutes and focuses on the task at hand until the timer goes off.  Our brains need a break from the multitasking that most of us are very good at doing.  I use walks in nature.  As I walk I deliberately look at the scenery around me.  The fall colors are already appearing where I live, so that gives me variety and added pleasure. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment