Oct 6, 2013

Yoga for Back Pain

"A weekly yoga class with some additional practice decreased back pain and the need for medication." Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine

If you, like me, are now helping the person with dementia get up out of chairs, then we would benefit from activities that protect our backs.  The above study is based on pain reduction, but I am more interested in preventing pain.  Yoga is one wonderful way.  Tai Chi is another.  Any way we can exercise and develop tone in our core muscles helps to support our backs.  Proper lifting is yet another way to prevent back problems.  I have been told by physical therapists that it is important to not lift and turn at the same time (a problem I have with snow shoveling).  When helping my care receiver out of a chair, I work with him, stand straight with feet at least hip-width apart, and lift with him helping by using at least one hand.  What works for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment