Oct 21, 2013

Changing Tires

As a caregiver for someone with dementia, you probably do a lot of driving.  Driving the person to appointments, driving for groceries and other items.  Something that all people should be able to do in an emergency is change a tire.  My car is relatively new with good tires, but, still, I have had 3 flat tires in the last couple years -- all when I was alone.  Most women do not have the strength to get the lug nuts off the tire that have been put on with a power tool, but with my most recent flat tire (in my own driveway), it occurred to me that all I needed was more leverage on the tire wrench.  I dismantled a pipe from our greenhouse frame, and it worked perfectly over the end of the tire wrench and gave me enough leverage to remove the lug nuts easily.  I am not advocating that we change our own tires.  I had called a service to come change the tire for me, but they had not arrived after some time -- so I changed it myself.  A good thing to know how to do in an emergency.

No comments:

Post a Comment