Oct 27, 2015

Take Time to Heal

Image result for autumn photos
"In this culture we display a compulsive avoidance of difficult matters and an obsession with distraction.  If we have both an adequate level of companionship in our sorrow and periods of solitude that aren't about distraction or avoidance, then grief will transform itself into tender melancholy." Frances Weller

Someone asked me today if I was going to sell our home now.  Good grief, NO!  I am not functioning at all well enough to make that decision.  Another person said she imagined I was relieved with his death. NO, I am not --- not yet, anyway.  Grieving takes time.  The Jewish culture honors grieving for one year.  We would do well to do the same.  Yes, I am stable enough to do some of the psychological work I do, but NO, I am not stable enough to make altering life decisions, and there is no way I can be relieved until I have grieved what I have lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment