Nov 5, 2015

The Mist

Image result for autumn photos
"How do we embrace the "what is" in a manner that allows us to respond to it proactively, rather than staring at it fearfully and giving it more negative power?" Dennis Merritt Jones

Like the mist, the path to feeling better may be covered up.  I recently had a talk with a friend about someone who has had therapy for years around an issue but has not changed.  My comment  was that I would not be in conversation with someone for years about a problem.  It serves no one.   It adds to our emotional charge to revisit, continue to talk about, matters of distress or dysfunction.  That does not mean ignoring or denying them.  It means just not telling the same stories with the same excuses.  One way I do that is by looking for the opportunities to learn within the distressful situation and change my behavior so I get different results.

No comments:

Post a Comment