Feb 21, 2012

Being a peacemaker

"I can choose peace, rather than this." Course of Miracles

Dr. Dyer suggests that whenever one is feeling agitated or annoyed, that we can consciously choose to be at peace rather than react to the annoyance.  He suggests several tools for remaining at peace:  schedule some alone time every day, meditate every day, stop yourself when you are making your peace dependent upon outer circumstances, practice thinking peace, become a peacemaker, make peace with yourself, enjoy time in nature.  I find that it is true that one always has a choice about whether or not to react to external circumstances, and I have noticed that I am much more likely not to react if I am at peace.  There will be mishaps when a person is a caregiver for someone with dementia: spilled liquids, remotes turned nonfunctioning, things lost and misplaced.  Those mishaps are a given.  What we have control over is how we treat such mishaps.  A technique I use is to consider:  how important will this event be in one week, one day, or one year?  That usually helps me put into perspective the smallness of the event.  Let's choose to be at peace.  For our own health, if for no other reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment