Feb 27, 2012

Contentment

"It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere." Anges Repplier

How very true. I am sure we know people and probably have ourselves tried to fill the inner void of self acceptance by an addiction or by keeping so busy one is never without distractions. Providing caregiving for someone with dementia is an opportunity to slow down. Everything that one does with the person with dementia is very slowed down; we can either resist that or we can allow ourselves to enter a slower rhythm. I have done both, and more recently I find myself entering a much more relaxed rhythm. It is an adjustment for me because I have been very busy in the world for the last three decades, but I am finding it is perhaps a more natural pace for me. Without the striving, more of my real pace is coming. Even with all the responsibilities we have as caregivers, we can take time to notice: is this an opportunity for me to adjust my rhythm, my pace?

No comments:

Post a Comment