Feb 7, 2012

Feeling the emotions

The truth is that while analyzing and strategizing and preparing ourselves can occupy our minds, and may even help prevent us from being hurt the same way twice, there is no substitute for giving the wound air, which in the case of the heart means saying deeply, without aversion or self-pity, "Ouch". "  Mark Nepo

I have noticed in my own life and in others that people seem to return to the same predicaments over and over.  In Mark Nepo's life he shares that his childhood upbringing caused him to experience rejection and to seek approval.  In my own life, an experience I have revisited is misplaced trust.  It is my nature to analyze why something happened to me, and, in some respects that is worthwhile.  But, I agree with the quote above, that the most important thing is to fully feel the pain.  That way we can move beyond the issue and not need to revisit the same scenarios again and again.  We will have learned what was there for our soul to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment