May 28, 2012

Complaining

"Complaining is a way of reinforcing the mindset of scarcity and lack.  If something is wrong, take action to correct it rather than complaining." Dr. Joan Borysenko

I found that as the role of caregiver wore me down I was less and less able to be in the presence of complaining.  Recently a person, whom I have known for years and know by history that she enjoys horriblizing and drama, started to tell me how awful her time as a caregiver was (which concluded several months ago).  I explained to her that I was sorry she had had such a rough time, and I did not want to hear the details.  While this may seem harsh, it does not serve that person or ourselves to participate in 'ain't it awful' sessions.  It is not that I do not believe that it is sometimes therapeutic for people to express their feelings (after all, I have had a professional life that included helping people have therapeutic resolution of feelings), but I am not up to listening right now.  And, in fact, it is more therapeutic for the person if there is some investment -- like paying for it.  I am highly in favor of people seeking professional help to deal with feelings, trauma, and life's disappointments.  There is a big difference between talking about feelings with the intention of resolving the angst - and - complaining. Being stuck in complaining precludes taking action, and that is what mature adults do:  assess the situation and take action.  Certainly, we all might benefit for a chance to vent; as long as it is not ongoing.  What action could you take today to correct something which is bothering you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment