May 4, 2012

Vitamin D

"In the largest study of its kind, scientists at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center have linked low Vitamin D levels to a higher incidence of depression symptoms." Sam's Club Health Living, May/June 2012

Having our vitamin D levels checked is one easy way to support our own health.  Caregivers are at risk for depression with the depletion of joy, lack of freedom in doing what we enjoy, and being overly burdened by all the tasks to do.  I would have thought of myself as one of the last people to have low Vitamin D levels because I am outside so much, no matter what the season; but I had very low Vitamin D levels when checked.  Taking Vitamin D daily, if you need it, is one way we can protect both our bones and our moods.  A physician can check your Vitamin D level easily with a simple blood draw.  One physician told me that anyone in the northern hemisphere is likely to have low Vitamin D levels.  I am not sure that is true, but she was certainly right about mine being low.  I suggest, in your routine for caring for your own health, that you ask to have your Vitamin D level checked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment