May 6, 2012

Credit Card Scam?

"If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience and ability." Henry Ford
    
In paying bills this week, I looked over our credit card bill to see if there was anything unusual.  There was a $14.95 charge from a woman's clothing catalog, which I have not ordered from in a long time.  I called the number provided on my credit card statement and was told (once I got through all the automated options) that I had checked 'yes' on some online form that allowed them to charge me $14.95 monthly for their "rewards program".  Now, I will be the first to admit that I have been under a lot of stress; but I am quite certain I did not check any box agreeing to be charged $14.95 monthly from a catalog I have not ordered from in years!  I wonder if it is the same thing as happened to me some years ago in which I found I was being charged some monthly fee because I had not checked the 'not interested' box -- which I had not even noticed.

Caregivers, our time and energy (and money) is stretched thin; but I urge you to make the time to carefully check your credit card statements for anything unusual.  Granted, $14.95 is not a lot of money -- until we remember that it was going to be charged monthly.  Fortunately, the customer service representative agreed to stop the ongoing charge and credit my $14.95 back to me.  But, of course, I realize I will have to check next month's statement to make sure that actually happened.  I hope you can learn from my experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment