Aug 27, 2012

Empty Space is Freedom

"I do pay for all the inner and outer space I use.  In my outer life, I pay in dollars.  In my inner life (the mind space), I pay by having my mind cramped.  When I hold onto useless opinions, fears, and volumes of fictional stories about my life and others' lives, I find myself feeling worn out."  Rev. Bob Luckin

How very true.  We are led by society to believe that the more stuff we have, the happier we will be; but in many cases, it just means that we become our own "warehouse security guard".  How much of our time is spent cleaning, organizing, rearranging, making sure things are safe?  Do we have heirlooms that we feel obliged to take care of?  How much space would we have for creative pursuits if we were not earning money to buy, maintain and keep safe all of our possessions?  Of course we want the comforts of life.  What I am talking about goes beyond the comforts.  Someone once told me that a person should not keep anything that is not beautiful, useful, or that we just love.  What a good criteria to determine if we want to continue keeping something.  Are we keeping it because it is beautiful, we love it, or it is useful?   If not, perhaps it is time to let it go and open up more space, and freedom, in our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment