Aug 5, 2012

Purpose

"Purpose is a guiding light.  Choose a purpose, and don't be attached to having it be the right one."  Rev. Bob Luckin

As caregivers, it can help us in the day to day ups and downs to have a purpose.  I chose early on that my purpose would be to live with dementia graciously and that I would write this blog to give support, encouragement and accurate information out of my psychological training and experience to other caregivers.  Caregiving is a very isolated role.  Some caregivers have family who come in and give respite, other caregivers go to support group meetings, others have staff at a facility or coming into the home who are of support.  Still.  It is an isolating role, and the difficult decisions must be made by us -- out of love and clarity.  I know that I do better in the caregiving role when I remember my purpose.  Even now when I am in another impasse with our longterm care insurance, I do better remembering to do this graciously.  What is your purpose, your guiding light, in your caregiving role?

No comments:

Post a Comment